Cashew Cream Cheese
Jul 17 …
* 2 cups raw cashews (soaked overnight in filtered water)
* 2 Tbsp plain, unsweetened non-dairy yogurt
* 1/2 sea salt (plus more to taste)
* filtered water, as needed to blend
1. Prepare a clean and dry glass or other nonreactive container. It may not be strictly required, but it’s best to sterilize all of your equipment with boiling water before getting started.
2. Drain the liquid off the soaked cashews. Add them to a blender or food processor and blend until completely smooth. If you aren’t using a high-powered blender, it will take several minutes for the cashews to break down and release oils in order to become a smooth mixture. Stop to scrape down the sides as needed; you can also add filtered water a tablespoon at a time if you’re having trouble blending.
3. Note: if your blender has warmed the mixture very much, it’s best to take a break now and wait for it to cool down. (We don’t want to kill the yogurt cultures with heat). Then, add the yogurt and salt and pulse to combine.
4. Transfer to the clean container and cover. Let sit out at room temperature for 24 hours. Use a clean utensil to taste the mixture, and add more sea salt to taste; let it culture for another 12-24 hours if you want a stronger tang.
5. Store in the refridgerator for up to 1 week. (Note: length of storage time may depend on the culturing conditions and brand of yogurt used).
6. (Optional Step) This recipe makes cultured cashew cream cheese with a texture more like “whipped” dairy cream cheese. For a firmer texture like block cream cheese, press out the liquid using cheesecloth.
Source: Yup..It’s vegan! https://yupitsvegan.com/basic-cultured-cashew-cream-cheese/