Soothing Mushroom SoupOctober 24, 2008 | Diana Shaw
- 2 teaspoons EVOO
- 2 scallions, white part only, chopped
- 10 ounces firm mushrooms, such as white button, portobello, or cremini, thinly sliced
- 1 pound white or red potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh dill, or 2 teaspoons crumbled dried dill
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Plain yogurt or sour cream for garnish
Minced fresh parsley for garnish
Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. When it is hot, add the scallions. Reduce the heat to medium and saute’, stirring often, until the scallions have softened, about 7 minutes. Add the mushrooms and continue to saute’ until they soften and begin to give up liquid, about 7 minutes more. Add the potatoes and dill and stir well to mix.
- Add just enough water to cover, stir again, raise the heat to medium, and bring to a gentle simmer. Cover the saucepan, reduce the heat to medium-low, and simmer until the potatoes are soft enough to puree, about 15 minutes.
- Puree the soup using an immersion blender or by transferring the mixture to a food processor or blender and processing in short pulses until it’s thick and creamy. Return the soup to medium heat. Season with paprika and the salt and pepper. Stir well and add a dollop of yogurt or sour cream, if you like. Sprinkle with parsley and serve hot.
- Refrigerate up to 3 days. Do not freeze.