News and Articles
An archive of writings on the Dr. Thyr website…enjoy!
- Mandatory Vaccinations and the Personal Belief Exemption
- What parents need to know about the new rules for vaccinating children in California.
November 18, 2015
- The Bleach Paradox
- Study links domestic use of bleach with infections in children
July 1, 2015
- Heart-health Benefits of Peanuts
- Study finds that peanuts offer the same heart-healthy benefit as tree nuts
May 1, 2015
- Plant a Tree, Ditch the Antidepressants?
- Study shows inverse association between density of London street trees and rates of antidepressant prescription
April 1, 2015
- Lavender Oil for Anxiety and Depression
- Review of the literature on the safety and efficacy of lavender
February 1, 2013
- Fall Liver Cleanse
- Join Dr. Thyr for a fun, informative liver cleanse.
September 27, 2012
- Top 10 Tips to Stay Well this Winter
- With the barrage of stress and everyone around us sick - we need to do everything possible to stay well. Here are my favorite tips.
December 6, 2011
- Hibiscus, Hawthorn, and the Heart
- Hawthorn and Hibiscus have a long history of use in traditional botanical medicine in many parts of the world for their multiple health effects, but especially in relation to cardiovascular disorders.
July 1, 2011
- Pesticides linked to ADD/ADHD
- Millions of children are diagnosed each year with ADD and ADHD. A recent report shows a link between pesticides and kids with ADD/ADHD.
June 18, 2010
- Is a Health Savings Account (HSA) right for you?
- Are you tired of high health insurance premiums for plans that then don't cover the health care you want? Consider an health savings acocunt.
December 18, 2008
- Herb of the Month: Fennel
- This common herb safely (and tastily) treats gas and diarrhea.
October 1, 2008
- Alternative Action for Cold and Flu Season
- Stay healthy this fall and winter by bolstering your immune system and having natural therapies in your medicine cabinet.
August 27, 2008
- Example Detox Food & Supplement Schedule
- This gives you an idea of what a day-in-the-life might be like on the detox. Exact times do not have to be followed.
January 14, 2008
- Detox Time!
- The holidays and all of their gatherings, calories and less-than-optimal choices are behind us. Are you ready for a fresh start? This is a terrific time to start a detox.
January 14, 2008
- Herb of the Month: Comfrey
- Comfrey is everything I aspire to be – gentle, soothing, steadfast, hearty, beautiful and amazingly strong and effective. I have been growing comfrey in my garden for many years now. My first plant came from a local midwife after we’d discussed using it on a boil that my husband had. That first plant has been moved, split, shared, harvested and now dons several areas in my garden. Not to mention the gardens of many of my friends and patients. It’s the first to pop up in the spring and the last to look lovely in the fall.
January 14, 2008
- Healthy Travels Make Happy Travels
- Regardless of where your travels take you, preparing well and staying healthy make any trip more fun.
December 18, 2007
- Five Nutrients All Athletes Should Be Taking
- No matter your sport, you will be most successful if your body has all it needs.
November 6, 2007
- Are You on the Restless Leg Rollercoaster?
- Millions of people are affected by RLS. Learn what you can do naturally to alleviate suffering.
October 29, 2007
- Let your food be your medicine… the wonderful benefits of raw honey
- Honey has a long history in healing. Read about how it can help with spring allergies and other ailments.
April 25, 2007
- In the News: Zelnorm Recalled
- Conventional medicine used this medication frequently for IBS. Naturopathic medicine may help you find and treat the cause of digestive disorders.
April 25, 2007
- Beat Sinus Congestion
- Use these simple tools to help rid yourself of the winter sinus congestion that hangs on after that bad cold. See your healthcare provider if these simple tools are not enough.
March 17, 2007
- Immune System Boosts for Children
- Back to school time generally means that the kids will be bringing home the latest cold germs along with their latest homework assignment. Fall is a busy time for everyone, and getting back into the rhythm of school and finding balance in life is important for the whole family.
October 23, 2006
- Genetically Modified Foods: A food supply disaster
Genetically modified (GM) foods are not legal in the UK. Seed companies in the US have lobbied and pushed hard to sell farmers the seeds that they have developed, presumably to make crops easier to care for – such as “Round-Up Ready Soy Beans” - the whole field can be sprayed with Round-Up and the soybeans will live while all of the weeds will die off. The problem is that our bodies are not built to handle these genetically modified foods.
September 11, 2006
- Soak Up the Green
- Green is a great buzzword these days. It's used in marketing for everything from home-builders to cleaning products to automobiles. The concept implies that these goods or services will be better for our environment and our health. I am all for it. But green goes much deeper. And as I sit in my back yard surrounded by this very green summer I am totally inspired.
August 8, 2006
- Beat Spring Allergies
- Spring is a time for buds bursting forth and excitement that the long winter is ending. It’s also a time for a great amount of pollen in the air as all of the trees begin to try to reproduce. Simple natural therapies can assist you in decreasing your allergy symptoms.
April 20, 2006
- Detoxify Your Noggin
- If you are ready for a spring cleanse, add these ideas for detoxifying your head.
March 15, 2006
- Natural Childbirth: Improving Health, Conception to Delivery
- This article focuses on benefits of natural childbirth and how naturopathic medicine can improve outcomes in prenatal care.
March 6, 2006